The 2004 list of words that should be banished for "misuse, overuse and general uselessness," according to Lake Superior State University:Might I also suggest any ebonics inspired term ending in "...izzle", "Bennifer", "Wacko Jacko", "Pre-emptive war", "Axis of Evil", "Terror Alert Level...", "Homeland Security"... Wait, there's more! I'll have to get back to you.
- Metrosexual: An urban male who pays a great deal of attention to appearance.
- X: As in "X-Files," Xtreme, Windows XP and X-Box.
- Punked: To dupe, popularized by the MTV show "Punk'd."
- Place Stamp Here: Printed on return envelopes.
- Companion animals: Also known as pets.
- Bling or Bling-Bling: Flashy jewelry.
- LOL: E-mail speak for "laugh out loud."
- Embedded Journalist.
- Smoking Gun.
- Shock and Awe.
- Captured Alive.
- Shots Rang Out.
- Ripped From the Headlines.
- Sweat Like a Pig: The problem is pigs don't sweat.
- In Harm's Way.
- Hand-Crafted Latte.
- Sanitary Landfill: Also known as a dump.
Wednesday, December 31, 2003
CLEANING OUT THE DROSS
5 Ninjas, 1 Kitten and a Fifth of Vodka!