Sunday, April 10, 2005

Wanted!

I've been asked numerous times (okay, somewhere between 3 and 6 times), what's with this ‘5 Ninjas, 1 Kitten and a Fifth of Vodka!’ business? Well, it’s simple really. A few years ago, during a rather deep conversation with a like minded evil genius wannabe, I was challenged to state definitively what I felt was the bare minimum required for the successful completion of any plan for world domination. Granted there was a fair amount of liquor involved; but I felt certain that after watching every James Bond movie ever made, including the one with George Lazenby, and several episodes of Pinky and The Brain that I'd cracked the problem. So I quickly asserted that all I required to take over the world was 5 ninjas - well you get the picture.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Now, I’ll be the first to admit that I may have been a little Panglossian at the time, but there was a method to my drunkenness. The plan, whose details elude me at the moment, had a lot to do with the improvised use of a sewing kit by a crack team of ninja assassins. The vodka was for courage. And the kitten, well no one ever really needs a kitten but they’re cute ‘n furry; ‘n I’d look really cool dressed in head to toe latex, 4" stilettos and a kitty draped over my gun arm.

I’ve long since sobered up and acknowledge that there may have been a few holes in the scheme, but what panache. To that end the search is now on for my 5 ninjas, literary ninja that is. Yup, guabancex is to become a group blog. Criteria include that the authors be Caribbean residents or of Caribbean origin but living in the Diaspora, have strong opinions on world events as well as regional issues, able to function reasonably in English, not be looking for filthy lucre and have a thick skin. We all know guabancex readers can be a bit saucy. There’s no time limit on this cattle call.

5 Ninjas, 1 Kitten and a Fifth of Vodka!