Sunday, May 01, 2005

Gouranga Update…

That’s right, spammage mystery solved; more importantly this guerrilla proselytising tactic seems to be working exceptionally well. You see, I got this Hare Krishna spam a while back, only I didn’t know it was Hare Krishna spam. It went something like this:
Call out Gouranga be happy!!!
Gouranga Gouranga Gouranga ....
That which brings the highest happiness!!

This of course resulted in the typical Dorna-esque response, “WTF?” Once I’d satisfied my baseline paranoia by running a few scans for unwanted nasties, I began to chuckle. This was the most intriguing spam I’d ever received. I sent it off to the maternal unit; she wasn’t amused and thought my titillation was further evidence of some inherited mental defect. One guess as to which side of the family she thinks the wayward gene came from.

Not to be dissuaded, why let a little maternal scorn get you down, I went a-googlin’. (Like that word, a-googlin’? I think it’s a keeper.) I found scores of other similarly bemused email recipients and this:
Gouranga is believed to be the nickname of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, the founder of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKON) and the mere utterance of
"Gouranga,"
the Hare Krishna practitioners say, would make one joyous.

Well I don’t know about that but if some religious nut, er, enthusiast wants me to be happy well, it’s better than penile enhancement promos. And let’s face it, it’s been a rough month; what with the never ending carnage in the middle east, the rising body count and bòbòl (read corruption scandals) here at home, and the Windies getting their tail parts handed to them, I could use a little levity. So here goes:

Gouranga, Gouranga, Gouranga… (I'm throwing in a little happy dance for good measure.)

5 Ninjas, 1 Kitten and a Fifth of Vodka!