Friday, May 20, 2005

Imperfect Recall

A little while back the maternal unit and I had one of our perennial discourses on the growing suckiness of children's television of late Vis-à-vis the golden years, i.e., my childhood. This trip down memory lane was precipitated by the mildly infamous Mana-mana post. So we're chatting amiably, over cup cake batter, about how Barney et al can't hold a candle to the Muppets, Mr Rogers and Jeremy. Who, you ask? Jeremy. You know the little brown bear? The stop animation show with the charming theme song that went something like:
I'm a bear called Jeremy
I can do most anything
Mmm, mmm, mmm
Little tunes like Do Re Mi
Mmm, something, something…
Okay, right, you see the problem. Neither of us can remember the song, we just know I loved the show, which has apparently disappeared into the ether.

My love affair with the little brown bear was tantalizingly brief. I fell for him during a brief sojourn in North America. We, the maternal unit and I, had gone 'away' for medical reasons. She was deathly ill and I was quite young. That diminutive bear was of immense comfort to me during those critical months and now I've almost forgotten him. Does anyone else remember Jeremy?

5 Ninjas, 1 Kitten and a Fifth of Vodka!